Exhibition at the Lohengrin House
In the building of the Schäfer family farmhouse, where Wagner sketched the opera “Lohengrin” during the summer of 1846, the Leipzig teacher Prof. Max Gaßmeyer (1864-1935) founded a Wagner memorial (with objects from his own collection), along with a “Society for the preservation of the Lohengrin House.”
Mementos from Wagner’s Paris days, portraits of Wagner and Liszt, festival souvenirs from Bayreuth and, most prominently, photos of contemporary Wagner singers were part of the original exhibit. The living room and bedroom were reconstructed in the style of 19th century farmhouse décor. Later the collection was extended by the acquisition of theater programs, first editions of Wagner literature, instruments from the former Dresden Royal Orchestra (played under Wagner’s direction), and most recently one of Wagner’s original death masks.
Since the reopening in 1982 the focus has been on Wagner’s Kapellmeister days in Dresden, and on his friendship and relations with music director and revolutionary democrat Karl August Röckel, documented by many significant materials. There are various rooms equipped with furnishings from Wagner’s time. Writings and texts by the composer are presented. The small hall regularly hosts concerts and public readings.