History of the Lohengrin House
reconstruction / conversion of the Schäfer farm house to its present form
May 15 to the end of July 1846
Richard and Minna Wagner spend their vacation here; compositional sketch to Lohengrin completed
September 8, 1881
Wagner visits Graupa with his second wife, Cosima and their children Eva and Siegfried.
Prof. Adolph Kietz affixes the Lohengrin Memorial Plaque
December 31, 1899
The last Schäfer farmer renounces the grounds
Carl August Edmund Syhre has memorial Wagner quotations applied to the gate pillars at the entrance to the grounds.
July 22, 1907
Prof. Dr. Max Gaßmeyer opens the Lohengrin House.
Founding of the Society for the Preservation of the Lohengrin House. Prof. Gustav Kietz becomes an honorary member.
The exhibit is provisionally closed due to a change of house ownership.
inauguration of the Wagner Monument by Prof. Richard Guhr in the Liebethaler Grund and the Wagner Memorial at the swan pond in Graupa.
June 10, 1935
Prof. Gaßmeyer dies in Leipzig. He is buried in Graupa.
August 25, 1935
Reopening of the Lohengrin House as a Richard Wagner Museum.
Used as a Soviet command post for several weeks. The Graupa local historian Emil Pfanne and other Graupa residents save large parts of the Wagner collection.
The house is used as the village office, school, kindergarten and registry.
July 20, 1952
Reopening with one, later two Wagner memorial rooms on the second floor.
May 23, 1963
Richard Wagner tribute on his 150th birthday (Schloss courtyard)
Start of restorative work led by the Dresden Institute for the Preservation of Historic Monuments, aided by Graupa citizens.
The old stable is opened as a concert and exhibition space.
August 15, 1982
Reopening of the permanent exhibit “Richard Wagner and Dresden” conceived by Dr. Jörg Heyne.
Febuary 13, 1983
Opening of the “Röckel Room” on the 100th anniversary of Wagner’s death.
April 23, 1988
Festive celebration on Wagner’s 175th birthday.
December 12, 1993
Founding of the Gaßmeyer Society of the Friends and Supporters of the Richard Wagner Museum
Festival Year in Graupa, commemorating the 150th anniversary of his stay in Graupa.
The village honors the founder of the museum, Prof- Dr. Gaßmeyer.
Lavish reconstruction of the Lohengrin House. The museum moves to interim spaces at Graupa’s Old School.
Reopening of the Lohengrin House with reconstructed Wagner rooms.
Restoration of the Jagdschloss.
January 13, 2013
Opening of the Jagdschloss with the new permanent Wagner exhibit and the concert hall.